Now available: The Art of Magic by William Ellsworth Robinson (later performed as Chung Ling Soo).
This short essay was written by Robinson to provide a chapter of advice and magic theory for his friend August Roterberg's 1895 book The Modern Wizard. It gives a rare glimpse of Robinson's views on performance magic in the years before he became Chung Ling Soo.
The booklet contains a new introduction providing context for the essay. Limited to 100 numbered copies, hand-bound, stitched and trimmed using traditional techniques.
16 pages, ≈ 10cm by 14cm. £3.50 plus P&P. Available here.
- - - - -
The biography Ernest Sewell and the London Magical Co. by Philip David Treece is available now and can be ordered via this link.
This book details Ernest’s life and career from humble roots, leaving school at fourteen to join the printing industry, through to becoming a B.B.C. radio star and a highly successful entrepreneur. It covers his rise through the ranks of pierrot concerts to becoming one of the leading concert party magicians in the country.
Click the book cover to purchase:
• His huge 1914 tour of Australasia supporting one of the biggest music hall stars of the age, Harry Lauder.
• His relationship with Will Goldston and Stanley Collins.
• The evolution of the London Magical Co. from a small one-room publisher for magicians to a factory employing seventy people, making toys and games for sale around the world.
• The story of how he found fame with his concert party group the Moonstones, becoming a regular star of B.B.C. Radio.
• His success as a solo performer which led to him being the first magician broadcast on television.
• Information on his magic sets, tying together how and why they changed over time.
The book has 80 A4 pages with 78 illustrations, fully indexed. Printed on high-quality satin paper with colour-printed covers.
The book is £15 including UK delivery and £20 including international delivery. It is available to purchase by clicking here.
- - - - -
For a wide range of second hand, antique and collectable magic books, magic history books, vintage magic apparatus and conjuring magazines visit the Etsy shop via the link below.